Sunday, November 22, 2009

4. 11/1/09 An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (820 pages)

And so this year's odyssey with the Outlander series comes to an end. This was my first time reading this installment, seeing as the book was released earlier this fall. I can safely say that I liked this one a lot better than the last two. I still have plot issues, but the pace was more urgent, which made that less of a problem for me. I didn't even mind the ridiculous number of perspectives (Claire, Jamie, Roger, Brianna, Ian, John, Willie...and even JEM got a chapter), given that it kept the action moving, and ensured that even the bits about battles didn't get too bogged down in military details. My biggest problem with this book is that some of my very favorite bits will never happen now. Years ago I read excerpts on Diana Gabaldon's website called "Jamie Meets Willie" and "Lord John's Proposal". These were two of the most excellent things I have ever read. The major events those chapters talked about still happen, but in very different ways, thus ensuring that I will never read "Jamie Meets Willie" again. This is a tragedy for me, because I always used to go look that one up whenever I needed cheering. That being said, the ways in which the events transpire in An Echo in the Bone is still great, and probably, in the long run, a lot less melodramatic. As a literary choice, it was probably the right one, but it will eternally disappoint me. Ah well.
So of all the 820 pages in the story, it was the last 100 that really mattered. The pace for that last section was frantic and packed with important events an information. I was on the edge of my seat, and didn't really see any of that coming at the end of this book. It was a HUGE payoff for all the time the reader has already put into the series. It could have served the novel better to spread all that action out, but it made the end incredibly exciting and nerve wracking. What will continue to torture me for the next 4 or so years, however, (UBER SPOILER HERE) is the cliffhanger between Jamie and John. How can she leave it THERE?
John, waiting for the death blow: "I've had carnal knowledge of your wife."
Jamie:"Oh? Why?"
KILLING ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment