Sunday, January 31, 2010

22. 12/20/09 The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (288 pages)

This book was a frustrating downer, but that doens't mean that I didn't enjoy it. It can only be frustrating if I'm really engaged, so I guess it turns out that its really a plus. I can see why social work students are always required to read it, and I think Fadiman does a great job of equally presenting both sides of the story. I've known about this book for years, and sold dozens of copies, but I never really picked up a good idea of what it was about- a little Hmong girl who's parents don't speak English and who lives in California is diagnosed with a severe seizure disorder, and over the years as her familiy and the medical community attempt to treat her, their lack of understanding of one another's cultures lead to difficulties and tragedy. I can see both sides of this story, and I don't think there was a "right" side, but I have to say that I agree with the western medicine a little more than Hmong culture. At times it seems like Fadiman is implying that the two are equal alternatives, and I don't think there are numbers to back that up. Its a very sad story, particularly the bits that seem like they were so very preventable, but its also a really good lesson. (Although I know there are those of you out there who strongly resist Lessons in your entertainment. You know who you are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment