Thursday, June 11, 2009

BattleStarWars?

I just read a dead serious essay on how the old Battlestar Galactica was just as relevant to society as the new one, and that no one will acknowledge that because the old message was conservative (Reagan-era Peace Through Strength) and all of the left wing Hollywood intellectuals would rather think about lily livered moral relativism than hardline weapons stockpiling and insane defense spending. This was in a BOOK. The author seemed quite miffed that people keep calling the old BSG "campy". My question would be "has he SEEN it?" I can't argue that the old BSG didn't have any social or political relevance, as it was applicable to the Cold War and all that, but I CAN argue that it was badly written, had special effects that were already behind the times, and hasn't at all stood up to the test of time. Now, I have no way to tell if the new BSG will last once the glow wears off, but at the very least its better written and doesn't bother with many special effects, which drastically reduces the danger of becoming dated.
On a more serious note, the Cold War dilemma of the original Battlestar Galactica crew has a clear right answer. Peace loving Adar is wrong. Reluctantly militaristic Adama is right. That's the end of the discussion. Its been proven. Its done. That's why the new series is better. Its over. I own every episode you can legally purchase, and I STILL don't know who was right and who was wrong. There isn't really a bad guy. My favorite characters did things that I detested, and nearly convined me that they were in the right. Gaius Baltar was responsible for really bad things, but was he also the hand of god? No one really knows. Well, maybe Ron Moore and David Eick do, but not anyone I talk to on a regular basis. And I wouldn't want to know. It would spoil the entire experience. These people face the situations we face everyday, and, just like us, they rarely get to find out if their choice was the right one.
The original may have tossed around the ideas of mutually assured destruction and Star Wars (the missiles, not the movies), but did it ever grapple with such heinously divisive issues as abortion, religion in government and suicide bombing? And did it ever toy with the notion that we, as a country, might be wrong? Its an uncomfortable thought, and I don't like thinking it more than anyone else, but I can't look myself in the mirror every day unless I'm willing to at least entertain the idea. The new BSG not only entertained it, it took it out to get to know it better, and whatever those characters decided, they learned to live with themselves, just like we do. What makes the new cylons so scary isn't just that they LOOK like us....its that they ARE like us.

1 comment:

  1. That last bit may have given me chills a bit. Also, unlike most of us, they actually have a plan! Cue tribal drum beats.

    ReplyDelete