Saturday, June 6, 2009

Katharine & Emily's Epic Illinoisian Adventure: Day 2

The midwest is kicking my ass. I've heard that "the waving wheat, it sure smells sweet," but its the damn waving wheat preventing me from smelling anything at all.
Today I got a good look at the post office and organic food stores of Urbana- there was free chocolate. Only at the organic grocery, but I guess that's really for the best. Emily is the perfect host and friend. She ironed my clothes and vacuumed the house (that was to help me breathe). I told her she didn't have to, several times, but I wasn't going to wrestle the iron out of her hands...that's just dangerous.
We also went to Allerton Park, which was beautiful. I got to see the Fu Dogs (Chinese AND Korean) and loads of trees, which suddenly seems like a novelty. Also there was a great story about an intense "father-son relationship" that I can't wait to submit to Anna's gaydar. I have an opinion on this one, but I'd like it confirmed by an expert witness.
We had Korean for dinner, and then went to a cupcake shop. There was an entire trendy cafe devoted to cupcakes! They also had gin fizzes, but we didn't get those (with this amount of antihistimines in my system, I could have DIED). The cupcakes were delicious. And we capped off the day listening to a Cuban band with no name and no discernably cuban members. I definitely saw, however, what looked, to me, like a potentially real hippie. Is the claim that Illinois has no native hippies a false one? It would explain why that was the guy that Em kind of knew. The weird thing was that in this cozy, friendly, pub-like place we appeared to be the only two people who didn't know one another. That gets unsettling fairly quickly. Solution? Come home and watch videos on Youtube, then convince Emily that her life is incomplete without Arrested Development. My mission here is complete.
Oh, and I would like to thank my commenter (commentor? Commentator?), you know who you are, for the interest in my doings. I totally got you- not just a pamphet- its a whole BOOKLET! You can thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. Urbana was where I first watched Arrested Development. (: And Fu Dogs? What does that even mean!

    I miss youuuu (: But please continue to have loads of fun during the next couple of days, so you have lots of stories on Wednesday (:

    ReplyDelete