Monday, June 8, 2009

Katharine & Emily's Epic Illinoisian Adventure: Day 3

I've tried this once already and it failed. That sucks. It'll probably be shorter this time around.
Sunday we got up early and went to get the oil changed in Emily's car. It was supposed to take ten minutes, it took over an hour. We waited in a soul crushing and dingy room where Emily graciously saved me from a giant bug. The thing had PINCERS. She smashed it under a vending machine and, I have to believe, caused its death.
We got on the road to St. Louis later than we meant to. It took a while, and was still flat. It was broken up, however, by an enormous cross by the side of the highway. Hilton big. Skyscraper big. I got some pictures. I've been told they really love Jesus around here, and I guess its true.
I don't have much to say about St. Louis itself- I didn't see much. The Arch was impressive, but the Mississippi just looked dirty. We were headed to the Missouri Botanical Gardens, and it wasn't in the best part of town. The gardens themselves were amazing! Every bit was living art, particularly the Japanese and Chinese gardens. The maze was a little lame, being really low and not difficult at all. Nice try, Missouri, but I've been in harder corn mazes.
After the gardens we drove to the Cahokia Mounds. We were too late for the visitors center and the video, which I hear is spectacular, if less 70s-tastic than I could wish. I did, however, get to see Woodhenge, and climb Monk's Mound in a short dress. I wouldn't recommend the second part. Although Em and I got complimented on our lovely outfits at the top it wasn't worth my concern that I was flashing Illinois.
Finally we headed for Springfield where we were spending the night in a hotel, because Emily had always wanted to stay in the hotel right next to the Cracker Barrel. As good as any reason, I guess, and a lot funnier than most. We went to dinner with friends of hers and I had the famous Springfield Horseshoe I'd heard so much about. (Actually it was a ponyshoe, smaller than the horseshoe). It was delicious, and terrible and gave me a stomachache. To finish the night we went out for drinks, which was pretty quiet on Sunday night. Eventually someone stared playing Johnny Cash songs live and we had a really good time.
My favorit quote of the day? " I could have taken the horse." Thanks, Shawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment