Sunday, August 23, 2009

District 9

That was a fabulous movie. There was nothing historical about it, so I don't have anything to criticize on that front, and I was tense through the entire film- it was amazing. Its been a long time since a movie held 100% of my attention like that. I had to go home and read something happier so I could sleep. It was intense and disturbing. I feel like I could say lots more about it, but I really don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't already seen it and might go. And you should go. These people are really the ones who should be making World War Z into a film...and anyone who knows me knows how strongly I feel about that book, so you know this must be a serious level of trust going on here.

The most important thing I learned from this is that I am, so far, unable to mimic a South African accent. I think I mostly end up sounding Scandinavian when I try- its sorta pathetic. It was really hard to effectively reenact the film when I was unable to reproduce Wikus's accent. I couldn't make myself sound like a prawn either, but I doubt that will come up in life as often as the South African thing. Including the voices really adds something to storytelling, and in this case I failed. Basically, although I was disturbed by the social messages of District 9, and think it was a great piece of art, what will really keep me awake at night is my inability to talk like I'm from Johannesburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment