Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Movies vs. Reality

I have a hard time watching a movie without doing my own research into what REALLY happened, or at least reading the book it was based on. Went to see Public Enemies the other day, and as soon as Johnny Depp vaulted over that counter to rob the bank I was hooked.

So, now I'm finishing up reading the book the movie was based on, and I'm even more fascinated. The most interesting part? All of the things you feel like they added to make Johnny Depp look cool were things that Dillinger really did. Jumping over counters? Check. Going to the police station where the Dillinger squad was headquartered? Not only check- he went like four times in the last month of his life. Reckless, sure, but cool. I know they couldn't do the plastic surgery that Dillinger had because you don't mess with Johnny's face, but on the whole, the Johnnies are equally cool, although one was unfortunately a criminal.

Also. Giovanni Ribisi (no idea how to spell his name, and I'm too lazy to go look it up) really looks like Alvin Karpis, who is my other favorite yegg. I thought that was weird and cool.

Know what they got wrong? Melvin Purvis? Not cool. Didn't really do that much either, just got the credit for it, and had his picture taken a lot. Also, the death of Pretty Boy Floyd was pretty accurate, except for the fact that is happened AFTER Dillinger died, and Mel Purvis didn't do it. (got his picture taken for it, though.)

What else have I learned? Bonnie and Clyde were dumb and small time. The Barkers were dumber, and Ma Barker the dumbest. Also, Shotgun George Ziegler? Disappointingly not related to Toby from The West Wing.

Knowing these things doesn't spoil the movie for me or anything like that...it just makes it so much more interesting. Don't worry, though. Pretty soon I'll move on from 1930's gangsters and start thinking about Julia Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment